[CF-Devel] GTK Client performance

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Sun Aug 11 20:09:23 CDT 2002

One additional point:
The dx client and the other clients run in a 800x600 mode and you surely use
1024x768 or something as screen res.

As the p90/p120 was the high end system (1995), no one used 800x600 as
playing
mode. The standard was 640x480. When you read old game magazines, you will
find there
that the 800x600 mode was the high end mode where many games was running
slow.

Because the dx client nor the gtk client has true 3d gfx, it will not help
to include
a fast gfx card. The 2d system (blitters) are chained to the bus and even
new cards
has no real good 2d blitter.

Face it: on a p120, 800x600 as high frame game resolution is slow.

Iam a bit surprised, that the dx client runs really smooth on the p120.
I had tested it in the past on my old p90, but i can't remember the
performance.

      The system is a P120, 80MB.  With X running, I  am  running on the

      edge where swap has to be used, but, even swapping is done, it is the

      number of monsters that kills the client, not the fact that swapping

      is being done because in town or other maps where there are few creatures,

      the client performs ok.