[CF-Devel] GTK Client performance

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at gmx.net
Fri Aug 16 09:33:05 CDT 2002

Le Dimanche 11 Août 2002 19:06, Kevin R. Bulgrien a écrit :

      The system is a P120, 80MB.  With X running, I  am  running on the

      edge where swap has to be used, but, even swapping is done, it is the

      number of monsters that kills the client, not the fact that swapping

      is being done because in town or other maps where there are few creatures,

      the client performs ok.

      It does not seem to be a server issue, because when the server is on this

      same machine, other clients like the Windows DX client do not slow down

      when the GTK client is slow.  The slowness also occurs (in GTK only)

      when I'm using other servers on the net.  Other players on the same

      server, on the same map, do not see the slowness with the DX client.

     Many points can influence the speed of 2D screen drawing; the most common
bottlenecks are:

- - Resolution: always favor 16bits 800x600 over 24 or 32bits 1024x768
- - Video Drivers: which drivers do you use with X ? Some are very fast, but
some others are quite slow. The version of X used (3.3.x or 4.x) is also
quite important.
- - Processes: Do you have many processes running in the background ? What is
the charge of your system ?

It could also be interesting to test the performances with the cfclient (yes,
the ugly-looking-one-nobody-but-me-probably-uses-anymore :P) and see if you
get different results.

SDL should theorically give faster results than standard GFX access; however,
since SDL doesn't make direct calls to the hardware, but relies on the
available drivers, it is difficult to predict its influence in that case.

The GFX hardware shouldn't be the problem here in any case - even in the times
of P120s, graphic cards were able to manage the blit requirements for a game
like Crossfire.
(For reference, I run the GTK client on a P133 with a CL5436 Mb GFX card
without problems - the resolution I use is 800x600x16bpp)

- --
Y. Chachkoff