[CF-Devel] GTK Client performance

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 18 01:45:39 CDT 2002

I am running a 1280 x 1024 display at 8 bit color.  XFree86 4.0.3.
I have a PCI Hercules Dynamite 128 Video card - A very fast card
in its day and when the Pentium 120 was a reasonable processor.

I am using the ET6000 driver.

The culprit is SDL.  When I turn SDL support off, I no longer
experience performance problems when the map is full of monsters.
Trouble is, with 8 bit color, without SDL, colors are very distorted.

Maybe I need to switch cards to one that will support 1280 at a
higher number of colors to fix the distortion (though I will hate
to give up booting the console in 132x60 text mode).

I re-enabled a larger map display (12x12) and icon scaling.  None
of the performance problems recurred.

Whatever SDL support is doing - it dramatically affects client
performance.