[CF-Devel] Crossfire doesn't compile on SuSE linux? (flex problem)

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Aug 25 21:00:59 CDT 2002

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      Great, this is really it!

      I didn't have flex installed, which caused my "loader.c"

      file to get replaced by an empty (!) file during make.

      Now after installing flex and re-checkout it works.

      Thank you Gros for pointing this out.

      Now I wonder, this has to be a bug in the build logic, no?

      When I don't have flex installed, why doesn't the "loader.c"

      file simply gets used as it is? At least this is how it

      used to work, because I've never installed flex before.

  Taking a quick look and doing some tests on my system, it appears that when
doing a cvs update, the datestamp on the file is that of current time, and not
last change on the file.

  I would _think_ that the checkout would happen in alphabetical order, so that
loader.c would get checked out before loader.l, and thus it should be newer.
Perhaps the time were equivalant (not sure if the times in the inode are any
finer resolution than the second), so make decided to update it.

  Note that you could have fixed the problem by just removing the loader.c and
then do a cvs update - the one it pulled down should also have a newer time and
thus be OK.

  The makefile could/should perhaps be smarter - it no flex is installed, don't
try to rebuild the file.  And at least spit out an error message.