[CF-Devel] Automake patch available, please test it

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Aug 27 02:40:19 CDT 2002

Mark Wedel wrote:

      Some changes not commented yet:

              - DATADIR etc. are passed to compiler as -DLIBDIR=... options

                instead of autoconf.h header. This is done according to

                automake documentation ("datadir","libdir","localstatedir"

                should be used only in Makefile)

       I personally find this new format annoying.  In addition to all the

      passed compile options, each compiled file now takes numerous lines

  It wasn't too hard to change this so that these are defined in autoconf.h.in
like is done in the current non automake environement.

  However, even with that, the compile output is still very cluttered with the
depfile/depmod stuff.

  Real solution may be to just include our own .c.o directive which doesn't echo
the command it is running (put a - in front of the directive) and instead just
does something like an echo 'compiling XYZ' before that.

  In that case, I wouldn't really care how much stuff is passed via command
line.  But as it is now, the output is so verbose that non critical errors will
probably not get noticed.  I'd like the output to be rather clean so that it can
be 'human inspectible'.  I suppose make can be run with -s, presuming you are
using gnu make.  But in that case, it doesn't tell what is going on.