[CF-Devel] Item Damage idea

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Thu Aug 29 04:34:06 CDT 2002

I like all of your ideas on that topic, except the way to
handle equipment damage. But even for that: If you manage
to tune it with your way of doing it, no problem with that.
I'm just trying to be helpful by saying (writing) my opinion.

      > Every piece of equipment has "duration points". These can

      > be set individually per item and work very much like a

      > player's hit points [...]

      I was thinking of adding something like that.  My thought

      is that as a first tuning, it is much easier to try to tune

      two variables (how often items get damage, and how much

      damage is done to items), than three.

Okay, we could add it later. When there is a running system
with 200 "duration points" though, it will be a lot harder
to make that change. OTOH if the 200-system works fine,
we might not need to change it.

      Note one advantage not having damage points has:

      Very powerful items given to low level players will become

      fairly worthless to those low level players as they could

      not afford upkeep. With your change, this item will get

      damaged 10% of the time, but since the player is fighting

      lower level things, the amount of damage won't be as much.

      But in addition, since this item has lots of duration points,

      the damage it will take won't be very meaningfull

      (repairing 10 points of damage to an item that has 100 total

      would be 10% of the price.  Repairing 10 points of damage to

      an item that has 1000 would be 1%)

Yes, that's true. I didn't quite think about that.
I just wonder if it is even possible to balance the time your
equipment lasts between high and low levels when all items
have the same "duration"?

Where do you make the transition so that a lowlevel can
fight orcs for an hour and a highlevel can fight dragons
for an hour - and both end up with equipment equally damaged?
Keep in mind that high levels receive both more hits and
slightly higher damage.

      I've not done a thorough analays of play at high levels.

      My guess is that at most all levels, the amount of time

      the player is hit is sort of constant, just

      at higher levels, those hits do a lot more damage.

I believe that's wrong. High level players usually get hit at
a much higher rate, by many more things (ecpecially spells).
The damage coming through the resistances is in fact not
a lot higher on average than for low levels.

AndreasV