[CF-Devel] Item Damage idea

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Aug 30 00:38:17 CDT 2002

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      Okay, we could add it later. When there is a running system

      with 200 "duration points" though, it will be a lot harder

      to make that change. OTOH if the 200-system works fine,

      we might not need to change it.

  Probably shouldn't be too hard to add later on.  A bit more work, but there
shouldn't be too many places where this would need to get changed.

      Yes, that's true. I didn't quite think about that.

      I just wonder if it is even possible to balance the time your

      equipment lasts between high and low levels when all items

      have the same "duration"?

  Probably not perfectly.  Since items will get damaged less for lower level
players, it won't cost them as much (depending on the difference in the rate).

  Of course, this could be pretty meaningless - if it is just gift items, what
may end up happening is the low level characters keep half the items given, and
sell the other half to cover repair costs.

      Where do you make the transition so that a lowlevel can

      fight orcs for an hour and a highlevel can fight dragons

      for an hour - and both end up with equipment equally damaged?

      Keep in mind that high levels receive both more hits and

      slightly higher damage.

  Depends on how the chance that determines how items get damaged.  Hard to say
how this will really work out until it is tried out.  IF something like the sqrt
of the damage is factored in for chance, that should help.  Also, could do
something like if chance value is less than 2, don't even bother making a check,
so that lots of dinky hits (which are more likely to happen at low level) are
less likely to damage equipment.  That sort of fixes some complaints about
things like rats damaging your equipment.

  The hardest part will be trying to balance these values.