[CF-Devel] Re: [Crossfire-cvs] CVS commit: arch/monster

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Aug 29 22:41:10 CDT 2002

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      Euh... Most of these monsters (evil masters, kobolds

      and necro pets) really were supposed to be high level.

      They need that level to maintain their hitting-rate

      and ability to damage high level players.

      I mean *someone* has to defend those artifacts like

      wdsm and magic cloak in pupland...

      You are right that the exp given for many of those

      monsters didn't quite match the level. The reason is,

      in most pupland maps you can already get enough exp

      and you get fine treasure too when killing the boss

      monsters.

      Not entirely sure what I should do now.

      I have an urge to raise those levels back up,

      but I could do it on a per-map basis.

      OTOH, most of these monsters are meant to be

      unique, so it seems "cleaner" to set levels in the

      arches.

      I won't do it unless you (Mark) agree with my

      reasoning though. :-)

  Well, I tried to adjust level by looking at what it seemed the toughness of
the monster was.

  Note that for most of that stuff you mention, I don't think level will make
too much a difference - most already had really high str/con/dex/wc, so the
reduction is level probably won't make too much difference.  I could be wrong
however.

  Mostly however, I did a quick 'grep ^level archetypes', and saw several at
level 100, with the next highest being level 50 or something.  This large gap
seemed pretty odd.

  As for uniqueness - that is more of a problem.  In some sense, anything in the
archetypes shouldn't be considered too unique.  Now I can understand that many
of these need to be in archetypes just to supply images.  But the problem
probably will occur that someone will make a map, and see these as interesting
monsters to add to their map.  There is no clear indication that these should be
truly unique to pupland.

  So I guess I'm saying that anything in the arch direction should try to be
generic in the sense it could be used on any map.  If my changes messed up that
balance (eg, if placed on even some other map, the stats are improper), than
feel free to adjust them.  But if the issue is that these should perhaps be
buffer for the pupland maps, then I woudl say the maps should get modified, not
the archs.