[CF-Devel] Automake patch available, please test it

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Aug 31 14:05:24 CDT 2002

Tim Rightnour wrote:

      On 27-Aug-02 Mark Wedel wrote:

       Real solution may be to just include our own .c.o directive which doesn't

     echo

     the command it is running (put a - in front of the directive) and instead

     just

     does something like an echo 'compiling XYZ' before that.

      Personally.. I find that incredibly annoying, because when I'm trying to figure

      out what went wrong in a compile.. I have to go hack the target to get it to

      spit out exactly what commandline make spit out to the compiler.

  Dunno.  The problem for me is that right now, each line that is compiled is like:

depfile='.deps/spell_effect.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/spell_effect.TPo' \
depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ../utils/depcomp \
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../include  -I../include -DPLUGIN_SUFFIX=\".so\"
  -ggdb -pg -Wall -c `test -f 'spell_effect.c' || echo './'`spell_effect.c

  The depfile, depmode, and test stuff at the end is probably not needed to see
how something was compiled.

  All that should really be needed for most things is:
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../include  -I../include -DPLUGIN_SUFFIX=\".so\"
  -ggdb -pg -Wall -c spell_effect.c

  Some of the current -D options could probably also get movied into the
config.h (plugin suffix) - it is probably safe to assume the HAVE_CONFIG_H
should always be true.

  I guess its really a matter of preference.  When a complete crossfire file is
only 150 lines or something, it isn't very hard to look over that for any
warnings.  If the complete crossfire compile is 600, much harder to look over
that and notice such warnings.