[CF-Devel] libtool with plugins

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Aug 31 16:25:04 CDT 2002

Kurt Fitzner wrote:

      I'm wondering if anyone has thought to use libtool to compile the shared

      object file for plugins.  The problem with the current setup is that it is

      extremely Linux-centric.  Other platforms don't necesarily use .so as the

      share object name.  I'm also not sure why Linux doesn't barf on the fact that

      libcross.a isn't made up of position-independant object files.

      If someone hasn't done this yet, or isn't currently working on it, I'll be

      happy to make a patch that will make it more platform-independant.

  There is an automake patch for crossfire that does use libtool.  I'm currently
evaluating the patch - I have some issues with the verbosity of the compile
messages.

  As for libcross.a - why should it care - that is a static library, that is
linked in statically.  Same is true for libsocket.a for that matter.  There is
really no reason to make those shared libraries, because the versions are tied
very closely to crossfire, and it is not like there will be more than one
process running on the system that may use those shared objects and thus have
some benefit of reduced memory.