[CF-Devel] Protocol Questions (Server to Client)

pstolarc at theperlguru.com pstolarc at theperlguru.com
Sat Aug 31 21:52:57 CDT 2002

On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Mark Wedel wrote:

      pstolarc at theperlguru.com

       wrote:

      but almost.  And I know, the sprintf with only constants isn't really

      necessary, but it seems more readable to me.

       Any reason you just can't redefine DATADIR in the case of the CF_WIN32

     instance?  Can't remember if DATADIR is used for other stuff, but there are

     probably other areas that may use some unix type features.

Yes.  Windows has it's own DATADIR defined somewhere that does something
else.  I don't know what it does.  It's in some standard library.  It
didn't appear to be worth the time it would take to work around.

       Given the number of #ifdef blocks you current have, proabably inlining it is

     OK.  If there were cases where a large portion of the file was ifdef'd, then

     maybe a seperate file.

       Also, my personal opinion is that #ifdef/else isn't too bad for good sized

     blocks.  What I found annoying in the server code is cases where you had a bunch

     of things like

     ifdef <few lines> else <few lines> endif

     <few more lines of code that are common

     ifdef <few lines> else <few lines> endif

       etc, such that it became really hard to read through the function to see what

     it was doing, because not only did you have to try to parse the code, but you

     also had to parse the ifdefs.  So I tended to prefer longer ifdef/else/endif,

     even if they included some common code.

I don't think I did that to the server source.  It's probably some other
Win32 guy.  We all look alike.

Anyway, I'll keep that in mind.

     Well, beyond unix and windows, the next big one would probably be macos.  I know

     the newer versions are more unix like, so maybe won't be as much of a problem.

     Dunno -it really depends on the next person who tries to port it to something new.

I would guess MacOS would build from the Unix source, as there is no GUI
code in the common files, but that's just a guess.

-Philip