[CF List] automake/libtool support

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Mon Aug 5 06:49:43 CDT 2002

Hi,

I am crossfire player for a long time now. Some time ago I have even
improved sound support in crossfire client (I know this should be
updated now, but this needs more time than I currently need).
I am also member of PLD (PLD Linux Distribution) team, so I make
packeges of different things, including, of course, crossfire.
Being a rpm-packager I see things, that other don't see, like things
being installed in wrong directory, some compatibility issues etc.

Recently I found out, that crossfire-1.3.0 traball is incomplete
(plugin_python.h is missing), and that plugins and installed in bad
directory (under ${datadir} instead od ${libdir}).

I thing, that what crossfire code needs now is automake/libtool support.
What whould it give:

Automake:
- Easy creation of distribution tarballs
- Easier maintanace, as Makefile.am files are much simplier than Makefile.in
- Created tarballs will be much easier for packaging for different
  distribution
... and probably some more I don't remember now

Libtool:
- portable way of building and loading plugins
... and probably some more

I think I could make automake support for current CVS snapshot in two
days, but I would like to know if anyone is interested before I start.

I would like to make support for:
autoconf-2.53-1
automake-1.6.1-1
libtool-1.4.2-10

So after applying this patch any developer who needs to change makefiles
or configure.in file will have to have them installed. But IMHO it is
quite low price for advantages, that it gives.

Should I start?

Greets,
	Jacek