HTML documents, was Re: [CF List] spell summary

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Aug 19 01:39:01 CDT 2002

Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:

      I think it would not be hard to have a tabular format that a script could be

      used to build HTML output so that someone does not have to use a wysiwig

      editor or know about html authoring.  I have written scripts like this

      before.  The build process could automatically do the work.  If a paginated

      output is desired, that could be addressed too.

  Certainly that is done for some of the current html documentation (spoiler for
example).  However, in that case, it grabs pretty much all the info it is
generating via script or program dumping it or whatever, so having it fully
automated is nice.

  Having the docs in HTML has some other obvious benefits, like hyperlinks (eg,
see also stuff that goes to the right place in the document or maybe another
document).

  I think most of the documents would need to have very little formatting done.
  In the case of that spell list, it is just table formatting.

  Lack of page formatting can be a problem for those people that want to print
out the docs.  Its probably less of an issue for those who are viewing them.

  I can see some desire for PDF documents - one file you need to download that
you can then view - perhaps useful if you want to view them and don't have web
access where you are viewing them for whatever reason, and don't want to have
download all the files that make up HTML docs (lost of little image files
there).  However, I think I agree with the sentiment that making pdf versions
from HTML, while not really pretty, may still be the way to do.