HTML documents, was Re: [CF List] spell summary

Juan Segarra jsegarraf at terra.es
Thu Aug 22 11:29:12 CDT 2002

I think that using HTML for documentation may be the best option now,
but I also think that that's not the "correct" way. I mean, I suppose
you all agree that the best correct solution would be something like
SGML because it was specifically designed for documentation. However we
are all very lazy and that seems to much to learn :-)
Thus, it is much easier to use HTML, because we are all used to it, and
moreover there are many programs to manage it. The problem I see there
is that its tags are not "content" tags, but "formatting" tags. I mean,
the <H1> for example is not a "title" tag, but a "write this very big".
On the other hand latex do has these tags, so that you write what you
want and the latex program organizes and formats your document. In this
way, with one source you could use the pdflatex or the latex2html or the
latex2anything. One of the problems here is that this is not so popular
as HTML, and there are very limited latex "compilers", and not all of
them work as they should do. However, if there would be a very good
latex2html, do you choose using directly HTML or latex?

Also, a second problem with this is that sources are sometimes related
to the final output. For example, I substituted the words "wand",
"scroll" and "book" by "w", "s" and "b", just because it didn't fit in
the pdf. This problem is similar with what Joris said about using HTML
with as less layout as possible, that is, making documents as much
portable as possible.

Anyway, as I said above, HTML probably is the best option now, but maybe
not in a long term.

--
Juan Segarra