[CF List] The 'dis'economy of crossfire

pc-crossfire at crowcastle.net pc-crossfire at crowcastle.net
Mon Aug 26 09:58:52 CDT 2002

[Quoting various people]

       But is weight of the money any real issue?  Would reduced weight (or say yet

     another higher denomination coinage) really help out this problem?  If anything,

     I think it may be worse because large sums of money would be that much easier to

     carry around.

On the other hand, it makes it easier to have things in stores that cost
huge amounts of money without having to use a separate mechanism (gems).

Personally, I think it would be cool to have a bank in some hard-to-get-to
location that would convert to mithril pieces or something like that.
Shops would accept the coins, but you could only get them by converting
them at that one bank.

      2) Make apartments for rent and not for ownership. A player might have to pay

       some amount of money every time he enters the game for them or whatever.

      This might also make different apartment sizes an interesting aspect in the

      game.

I like to be able to log out and back in frequently.  For example, taking a
break for a phone call or getting a drink, I'll log out to avoid any risk
while I'm away.  I don't want to have a penalty for doing so.

      5) Just thought of costs for transportation. Why not have to pay for the ship

       to Lake country or wherever you wish to go, nobody would expect them to be

      free.

While that makes sense, I'm not too excited about the idea as a player.  If
you have to pay for transportation to a given land, we need to be sure that
the land has everything a player would need for a while; players won't be
moving between lands as frequently.  On the other hand, this would help
keep players from town-hopping to search each shop for that odd scroll or
potion.

      6) One great wish of mine: Princes of Scorn should be given the chance to buy

       some really expensive castle, perhaps like the guildhouses, but for single

      players, which are also extensible. Maybe in this way there could be achieved

       some final thing a player can save his money for.

I was going to create a map like that, but I got distracted.  You may
remember I wanted to add code for an object mover that would be able to
selectively move objects depending on various characteristics.  My idea was
to have a room where you would drop all sorts of random loot in one square
and it would move along a conveyor belt until it dropped off into the
appropriate pile.

Ultimately, an appartment or house is a place for storing stuff.  It can
also be a place for conducting party business if you let multiple players
share a single space, which is cool, but has problems with new players
finding everything already bought up.  Perhaps we should have a separate
discussion of what would make for the ultimate house, and then we could
design one with separate parts with exponentially higher prices to open up
the parts.

     Could add a 'park' to the towns for that matter, and let people pay

     different sums of money to get statues of themselves or whatever else.

You could have a set of statues that could be modified for a price.  Every
time someone makes a change, the price to change that one again goes up.
On a popular multi-user server, the high-level characters could go back and
forth bidding up the price to have their own statues.

On the other hand, we're not a massively-multi-player game like Ultima
Online, so things like that won't suck money out of the economy as
efficiently as they do in that environment.

--PC