[CF List] The 'dis'economy of crossfire

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Fri Aug 30 02:35:46 CDT 2002

      > I do NOT think it is realistic to think that you'll

      > be able to balance this perfectly, so it'll turn into black

      > and white:  EITHER players will have way too much money

      > OR they will never have enough.  Reason?  Simple.  I

      > don't think that you can balance things to within 10 percent.

      > 10 percent of millions is still way too much money.

       That is probably true - achieving perfect balance is

      impossible to happen.

My opinion is that perfect balance is not the thing we're
shooting at. As things are now, players leave huge amounts
of gems lying about in the dungeons simply because they
are not worth the effort to be picked up!
That is mainly what I would like to change. High level
players should at least have a sense for money and have
a reason to pick up a stack of money when they see it.

The point about repair being annoying mainly depends on
how often repairs have to be made. I would set the prices
very high (for good artifacts) and keep the speed at which
items get damaged low.
It is usual habit to visit shops (or at least towns)
every bunch of hours. If the repair frequency can match
that, I don't think it would be annoying.

AndreasV