[CF List] Re: Improved invis spell and stealing skill broken in newest cvs?

Erhard Sanio erhard.sanio at gmx.net
Wed Aug 28 09:05:05 CDT 2002

Mark Wedel wrote:

     Erhard Sanio wrote:

      Mark Wedel wrote:

      ..

[.. improved invis function ..]

     Some of that code was redone.  I'd have to look at see what the old code

     was

     doing - it is possible that the spell wasn't having any effect, and it just

     wasn't reporting anything.

Well, the spell seemed to have effect before. When I accessed maps
with autoattackers, they did not recognize me, even if I attacked
them or did other things to them, e.g. calming, stealing, placing
bombs and what a naughty player could do to innocent monsters.

     The blinking was one of the changes - it was considered more proper for the

     player to blink on all occasions - otherwise it was considered difficult

     for th

     player to know where he was on the map.

The blinking is fine. It restores the behaviour of prior versions of
crossfire.

     Wyverns have 'see invisible', so its not too surprising invisibility

     doesn't

     work on them.

This ist true, but only for bright rooms, or dark rooms when a fireball,
a torch or something similar is ignited. In dark rooms, wyverns don't
see you when you have improved invisibility (they lack infravision afaik),
so yo may pass or even hit them.

     Note that many tougher monsters have see invisible.  Also, improved

     invisible

     doesn't protect you from undead - they can still 'see' you - you needr

      invisible to undead.  There is no 'improved invisible to undead' however.

Well true. That's why improved invis only works on a limited number of
maps. It is a pity anyway that it is brokenr.

      That means that most of Germany is cut off from crossfire.real-time.com

      due to the incompetence of telekom abuse management. It means no

      metaserver, no online help, no mailing list archives. Personally,

      I have a narrow bandwidth dialin to a university network which

      enables me to have a short look at least. It is a pain anyway.

     Well, maybe if enough users/customers of german telekom actually complained

     to them (eg, I can't reach some sights because the remote sight has blocked

     access from german telekom due to DDOS attacks and the fact that you don't

     do anything to correct/prevent/solve the problem), maybe GT management

     may actually do something.  Probably the player base of crossfire isn't

     big enough that that is an issue.

Right. Maybe the handful of CF players adapt to the punishment somehow,
the fact remains it hits them, not the network operators. Much worse,
without access to homepage and metaserver it will be hard if not
impossible to motivate new players.

Rethinking the affair I am even unsure whether DT network operators
can do much about those attacks. As told, there are the two biggest
German ISPs, namely T-Online and AOL, together with over ten million
users, who are routing over the dtag.de network, in addition provideris
like 1&1 (puretec), metronet and some ten or twenty regional providers,
in addition some hundred or more local ISP. I am not sure how far
the rights and duties of DT network monitoring go. Maye they really
don't have a chance or even the right to find out about.

Anyway, I still hope for a solution.

regards, e.sanio

     http://www.gmx.net