[CF-Devel] death attack, AT_DEATH

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Feb 1 02:16:30 CST 2002

Peter Mardahl wrote:

      > > Now why can't I use the attack type death on a weapon with slay set?

      > > This sounds like a bug to me, but maybe I missed something in

      > > the code.

      Well,

        I originally coded a lot of this stuff, and what I had in mind was this:

      1)  If a weapon had a "slaying" and AT_DEATH, it used AT_DEATH on the

      monsters listed in "slaying" and the other attacktypes on anything else.

      2)  If it didn't have a slaying field, it used AT_DEATH on everything.

 That scheme is probably non intuitive for most people - you would generally
think that the addition of slaying should make an item better, not worse.  Now
since your god could improve your weapon, it is certainly possible your weapon
could be worse.

 I would guess that the death attack would use the players level (either overall
or in the melee weapon skill) as the comparison.

 I would take Andreas's proposal and modify it slightly:

1) Death attack only work if the weapon has a slaying field set.
2) Death attack always works, but if the weapon has slaying, it is more
effective (maybe make death attack less effective on all weapons if slaying is
not set).

 That at least means that a weapon that gets slaying added to it becomes a
better weapon.