[CF-Devel] new quetzal (dragon) race

Peter Mardahl peterm at tonks.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Feb 26 15:57:29 CST 2002

      > I don't see a compelling reason to modify the Quetzalcoatl instead

      > of creating another dragon player-race.

      Sorry but I really would like to use the Quetzal-race for this.

      My scheme ("dragon skin" and all that) is designed for dragons.

      And I don't want two dragon races that work *completely* different.

Well, how about if you change the Quetzalcoatl image?  It really
ought to be a bird-snake image anyway.  Just changing the image
won't seriously affect anyone's gameplay.

I really don't understand your objection to doing it this way,
which lets you do what you want and preserves compatibility for
the existing player base (such as it is.)

      Though, I want to note that the old Quetzal-scheme has serious

      problems because it cannot get a total level of resistances

      that other players can get.

  Not every race has to be equal in potentiality to
every other.  It's perfectly fine to create races with handicaps,
such as fireborn, Q's and Wraiths.  It might piss some people
off after they find out the ultimate price they paid for their
early advantages, but that's the game.

      I guarantee you that my work is 100% reverse-compatible.

      Existing Q's of the old kind can continue to lead a happy

      life with my code checked in.

Well, OK, but I suggest creating a new race and perhaps changing
the Q's bitmap, to avoid confusion.

      The way I have planned and coded it, it is a unique race

      and therefore needs unique code. The dragon skin- and abilities

      work together and it doesn't make sense to reuse this for other

      races/classes.

      If I want to make general reusable code, I would need to do it

      completely different. I don't want to re-invent the skill system

      or rewrite file parsers. Doing it as I planned is already

      an immense load of work.

Mmm, I was proposing extending the player-changer or perhaps
the potions, and using map features to limit these to the target
race(s).

You're doing the coding, of course, so I won't speak too strongly
about how it should be done.  I have a strong preference for
having a distinct Q and dragno race though, one which is the same
as previously except perhaps the image, and one which is your new
thing.

A Quetzalcoatl really is *not* a dragon, I just liked that image,
and it was sort of close, so I used it.

PeterM