[CF-Devel] town portal (RE: CVS commit: maps/city/misc)

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at MailAndNews.com
Wed Feb 27 02:00:27 CST 2002

     ===== Original Message From Tim Rightnour <

      root at garbled.net

      > =====

     On 26-Feb-02 Yann Chachkoff wrote:

      If I remember well, there was a crossfire compile-time option to activate

      "backfire effects" for failed spellcasting

<snip>

     Basically, here is the problem:

     Player A fights monster A:

     Monster A can fire lightning at the player all day long, with no fear.  if

     the

     monster dies, it doesn't care, it repops.

     I suppose you imply that monsters got an infinite amount of mana. Did I ever
said they should ? (Unless, of course, the spells are "natural abilities",
like the dragon breath)

     Player A however, has limited mana, and if it dies, it's a very upsetting

     thing.  The player has a spell which he painstakingly learned, and now

     attempts to use against the monster trying to kill him.  Oh look, he rolled

     00, he just blew his arm off.

     The backfire effect should of course be a function of the player and spell
levels. I simply can't imagine why a player should be killed when missing a
level 1 spell.
Now, if the "painstakingly learned spell" is a difficult one (Very powerful
spells like "Meteor Shower", "Resurrect" or "Chained Lightning"), I think it
should be somewhat dangerous to cast. Note that I'm not the only one to think
so - in many commercial RPGs, high level spellcasting is quite risky, and it
does not seem to upset players at all.

     This is just like critical hits/misses.

     Not really, as the critical hit/misses usually do not take the levels of the
player and the attempt into account. Critical hits are usually triggered when
you roll a special value on the dice (like 00 or 99).

     I suggested the void, because it's a specific solution to a specific problem,

     one which was being abused on our mud, and looks to be abused on CF.  If you

     think about it, the portal is a kind of "cheat" for the player.  He can avoid

     things that he would normally have to encounter.  The player is willing to

     risk

     the void, in order to cheat past the rest of the maze.  However, a normal

     spell, like say meteor storm, is not a form of cheating, it's just a high

     level

     mage causing lots of fire.  The void is designed to balance the cheat out.

     I do not understand how Town Portal could be used as a cheat to pass over a
whole maze, since the player needs to reach the end of it to cast the Portal.
Now I admit that the Town Portal offers the opportunity of a "convenient
escape" - but that's also the case for Word of Recall and, to a lesser extend,
for Dimension Door and Amulets of LifeSaving. Should we consider them as
"cheats" also ?

     I don't mind if you take a certain spell, and find a logical and just

     backfire

     for it, on an individual basis.  Think of the void as "a rift in space time

     caused by the portal".  But I think each spell should be evaluated one at a

     time, and determined if it needs a backfire or not.  I do not agree that we

     should penalize spellcasters in general.

     I am not opposed to the idea of binding specific effects to specific spells.
However, I think the problem is more general than just an unbalanced spell.
What about spells like Word of Recall, Holy Word, Burning Hands, Create Bomb,
Summon Avatar, Sanctuary, Restoration for example ? Should we also apply a
specific solution to each of those ?

     As yourself, why is it that nobody runs the backfire code.  :)

     Maybe that's because the option is disabled by default and most people never
change anything in the configure file ?
And, as I said, I do not think we should retake the current system as it is -
but using it as a workbasis for a more general and flexible system.

Visit

     http://www.chachkoff.pronym.org

      for a
journey into a fantastic world !