[CF-Devel] Client/server protocol enhancements.

Scott MacFiggen smurf at CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Jan 4 16:05:04 CST 2002

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 12:01:15AM -0800, Mark Wedel wrote:

      Scott MacFiggen wrote:

      Memory is cheap.  Or at least, if it is a runtime option, you can elect to use

      it if you have the cpu and memory to spare. Since the fog map already has that

      information, it doesn't really use more memory to store the other spaces.  I

When I said it was memory intensive I meant if you had a mapview with
actual scroll bars. That would imply the entire map is rendered all the time
but only what was in the current viewport would be seen. Although if I
were to implement it I would allow the user to move the viewport around
and just re-render as the user scrolled around. That wouldn't take any
more memory at all..

      > I read a game design book a while back that was pretty blunt on this

      > subject. The book said it was bad game design to hide things from players.

      > The basic idea was why put something in your game and then not tell

      > the player about it..

       That is probably true.  It depends a lot of if you think that knowledge

      should be discovered or not.  Of course, we could always do it both

      ways and have some server setting that controls eg - if the server

      admin disables the user from knowing that information, the information

      is sent in the same form, just the damage and increments and so forth

      are zero.  If the server admin wants to share it, then the real values

      get sent.

The more configurable the server the better in my opinion.
Customized servers would certainly make the game more interesting.

	-Scott