[CF-Devel] Re: Suggestions

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Jul 1 17:50:05 CDT 2002

Tim Rightnour wrote:

      On 01-Jul-02 Todd Mitchell wrote:

     I do like the idea of different starting locations, especially since this

     will somewhat offset the aformentioned problem of having the maps used up so

     quickly.

      I tried this on the mud.  2 things happened:

      1) Players bitched because we didn't let them pick where they started.

      2) We fixed it and everyone picked midgaard.

  My personal thought was that the player would pick what starting location they
wanted.

  Thus, if from past play experience they new town XYZ had a mayor they liked,
they could choose to start there.  Most people might choose scorn.

      In the end, even with lots and lots of players.. everyone hangs out in the

      center of midgaard to be social.  The fewer the players, the more pronounced

      the effect.  IMHO, it was a monumental waste of time, because it took *forever*

      to fix the maps up to be properly balanced for it to work, and then ~nobody

      used it.

  That is probably a bigger issue.  As it is now, starting in navar city would
be pointless - there are no low level (<5) dungeons about, so the character
would have to go to scorn anyways.

  Adding low level dungeons to all the possible starting locations is certainly
a lot of work.  In some longer term, it may not be a terrible thing that if (big
if) we get to the point where there are lots of dungeons that they get spread
around more - have some low level dungeons in the other towns.

  But probably more relevant is that unless the different towns are sufficiently
different, there won't be much point to start in one vs the other.