[CF-Devel] rodlike and wandlike items

pstolarc at theperlguru.com pstolarc at theperlguru.com
Tue Jul 16 06:03:50 CDT 2002

Mark Wedel wrote:

       I'd prefer not to have another item type just to print some slightly different

     messages.  Such a change may not be quite as simple as you may thing - all code

     instances that use type of ROD or WAND also need to get updated, not just that

     small snippet (this is for things like apply, monsters, identify, etc).

       I'd much rather just change that small area of code to do some more generic

     message.  At least for wands, it now goes 'the <name> goes poof', so that should

     be generic enough.  Likewise, for rods, it says 'the <name> whines for a while'.

       Perhaps for horns, maybe something like 'no matter how hard you try, you can't

     blow through the <name>?'  presumably, anything of type horn is something you

     blow in, so should be generic enough?

I'm not familiar with the server code, but maybe something like:
"The %s whines for a while, but nothing happens", sItem

Or even more generic:
"You try to use the %s, but nothing happens.", sItem

-Philip
(Work has gotten in the way of things, but, yes, I still plan to finish the
SDL client.)