[CF-Devel] Java Map Editor Bug

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Fri Jul 19 05:34:12 CDT 2002

Mark W. wrote:

      Don't know if this is a peculiarity of my system.

      If I try selecting a single space (left click), the box is drawn around

      the space correctly.

      However, if I left click and then drag (to select and area), the

      selected area is shown as basically garbage.

I never observed anything like that with the JavaEditor on my system,
and this is the first time I hear from it.
(I have tested the JavaEditor on WinXP, Suse Linux and Solaris 5.2)

Most importantly: What OS and which Java version are you running?
If this happens with JSDK 1.3 for example, you could try upgrading
to 1.4 and see if the problem persist.

In general I have to say the bug you described is amazing.
The drawing routines used for the "dragging" of selected areas use
the same basic drawing methods as everything else.
Now that doesn't mean I don't believe you. However, it's going
to be hard to adress this problem without being able to verify it.

As far as I remember, for inserting and deleting objects, the
JavaEditor redraws only the changed tiles. But for this dragging-stuff
it would have been much more complicated. So I just left it with
redrawing the entire map-screen every time you drag the mouse
over a new tile. Maybe what messes up is the part when the
JavaEditor trys to force a redraw of the mapscreen? But then,
it should also mess up when you move the scrollbars of your
mapwindow for example. And it should either mess up the entire
screen or let it be alltogether.

Another possibility would be that what gets messed up is
only the icons that display the highlighting boxes. But then,
why does it work for single-click selection...?

Andreas

     http://www.gmx.net