[CF-Devel] Java Map Editor Bug

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Jul 20 00:09:59 CDT 2002

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      Mark W. wrote:

     Don't know if this is a peculiarity of my system.

     If I try selecting a single space (left click), the box is drawn around

     the space correctly.

     However, if I left click and then drag (to select and area), the

     selected area is shown as basically garbage.

      I never observed anything like that with the JavaEditor on my system,

      and this is the first time I hear from it.

      (I have tested the JavaEditor on WinXP, Suse Linux and Solaris 5.2)

  Dunno what happened - it is now working OK for me.  Nothing should have
changed on my system (I did re-start the editor since I had quit out of it
before).  I wonder if I had some stale class file.

      Most importantly: What OS and which Java version are you running?

      If this happens with JSDK 1.3 for example, you could try upgrading

      to 1.4 and see if the problem persist.

  linux 2.4.18, latest sun java (1.4.0_01-b03)

      In general I have to say the bug you described is amazing.

      The drawing routines used for the "dragging" of selected areas use

      the same basic drawing methods as everything else.

      Now that doesn't mean I don't believe you. However, it's going

      to be hard to adress this problem without being able to verify it.

  Must must a bug in the JVM.  I wonder if the newer JVM is trying to use some
means of graphic acceleration which is somewhat buggy.

  Oh well, I'll have to see if it happens again.

  Spoke too soon.  Seems to be somewhat reproducible.  But using IBM's java
implementation (1.2.something) seems to work OK.

  The data that is being displayed instead of the right information seems to be
sort of random.  One time it was garbage.  Last time I tried it, it draw a bunch
of trees.  One time it worked OK, but then I left that workspace and returned,
and it had garbage again.

  A few other java editor related questions:
1) Is it possible to rebind the mouse buttons (eg, left click does this, right
click does that)?  Not that crossedit is the best model, but that is what click
pattern I'm used to.  Maybe I'll just have to retrain my brain.

2) The types.txt has a pretty clear format.  Is there any mechanism to
transition values?  For example, one of the recent changes was to add a
gen_sp_armour field - the last_heal fields should get transitioned to that (the
server map editor will do that automatically, so its not too big a deal to just
leave it unchanged.  But it would be cool if the editor could fix these up also.