[CF-Devel] Java Map Editor Bug

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Jul 20 17:46:22 CDT 2002

Andreas Vogl wrote:

 > No, sorry - not yet possible to bind mouse buttons. I know it's a bit
 > uncomfortable to get used to different buttons. My motivation to change
 > patterns was this: - left click is for selecting on most systems and apps -
 > middle click for deleting because it seems most unlikely to accidently click
 > the middle button (just my personal opinion) - right click for insertion as
 > that button remains free
 >
 > It was a bit tricky to get the buttons working for all systems, including
 > support for single-button-mice, and considering the protocol for
 > middle-button is wacky on some systems. So I didn't really want to complicate
 > things further by allowing customized buttons.

  Fair enough.  I seem to remember when I first started using crossedit that I
though its mappings were a bit wacky, so the reason you did the above all make
sense.  Shouldn't take too long to get used to the new bindings.

 > I didn't include tools to modify the types.txt file automatically. However, I
 > tried to keep the format as readable as possible, so changes can be made
 > without too much trouble of learning the format.

  Yeah - the format is reasonably clear.  Would be pretty easy to modify one of
my perl scripts to update these also.  Its was more justa covenience issue -
have it update the information automatically.

  Am I right in remembering that the java editor will preserve any fields it
doesn't know about (eg, it just treats the object .. end as a bunch of text
                            that it saves out again)?  Or does the editor need to
get updated to properly load and save new values that may get added.

One other niggling bug I noticed - the placement of the window when I run the
editor isn't quite right.  IT seems that the editor is smart enough to preserve
its geometry, but when I re-run it, it seems about 20 pixels higher than it was
before - this results in the window titlebar and top bar of options disappearing
off the top of the screen if the last time I ran the editor it was aligned at
the top of my screen.  I suppose this could be a window manager issue, but I
don't see it with other apps.

  One request that I've made before would be for the map windows to be their own
top level windows managed by the OS instead of subpanes within the editor.
Alternatively, if the layout could be a bit different so that the selected
object information on the map was all done in a second column to the right of
the one that is used for selecting stuff to insert in the map.

  The odd geometry of my system (3200x1200) means that even if I maximize the
window size of the editor, I effectively lose a lot of editing space, as the
pane for selecte object spans the entire width of the screen, which isn't very
useful.