[CF-Devel] Java Map Editor Bug

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sun Jul 21 14:27:25 CDT 2002

My point of view on the JavaEditor is a bit different than
Michael Toennies'.

I don't feel that lack of Java coding power is a problem.
Sure I'm no Java expert, but there's nothing one cannot
figure out from the API docs.
For example, I made the entire font for all windows
customizeable. I have no problem with changing fonts. :-)

About optimization - We must face it: You can't optimize
that much for graphics with Java. The JRE simply has
limits in speed and those are definite.

In my opinion, one of the main difficulties with the editor
is design & layout. Not only coding it, but figuring out how
to do it right. Creating an easy and intuitive GUI is
a lot harder than one might expect.

I for one don't believe it would be practical to have the
entire arch-input-interface always visible. Too much
data - uses too much space.
Also, I don't believe having seperated windows for the map-view
is good. I don't like the window-jungle Crossedit produces
for example. Now if Mark likes this and codes it as optional
thing - no problem with that.

Talking about the JavaEditor, there's one thing I still miss
a lot: Pickmaps. Implementing those poses just the same
kinds of problems like discussed above. Where to put them? -
Seperate frames? Or a toggle between arch panel and pickmaps?

Concluding, I think best one can do is to design the graphical
interface with care and never stop learning Java ;-)

Andreas

     http://www.gmx.net