[CF-Devel] CFEditor cleaning up

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Sun Jul 28 06:46:27 CDT 2002

Micheal Keuchen wrote:

      Hi,

      I downloaded the latest version of the CFJavaEditor and

      did a bit of "cleaning up". This was necessary as there

      was really a mess with configuration files, build files,

      scripts, batch files and so on.

      You can download my version from "

      http://crossfire.tabacha.de".

The mess with configuration files is not my fault. The reason
for this is that there are a lot of people who tried to
configure the editor for "their personal system". So I allowed
anyone to include build scripts as long as these scripts
"don't hurt".

      In particular, I made the following changes:

      - new build file

           I have removed all old Makefiles, scripts, buildfiles,

           batch files, ... They are replaced by "build.xml" for ant

           for building the app and small scripts for starting.

Hmm, okay this sounds good. I really never use any build scripts
and I have little idea whether the old ones worked or not.
The only problem is, I don't like some of the changes below,
which might require modifications to these build scripts
in order to work.

      - new packages for java sources

           According to naming conventions, I have moved the sources

           in a source directory and to the package

           "de.tabacha.crossfire.editor". I would have preferred

           "com.real-time.crossfire.editor", but "-" is not allowed

           in a package name.

Sorry I don't want to have the packages renamed. These overly
long names cause a big mess in the directory tree on CVS.
However, I could agree to move the sources into a "src"
directory.

      - Changed project name to from CFJavaEditor to CFEditor

           Old name was a bit long-winded.

CFJavaEditor is the name - and that's where it stays.
I hope you understand, but it's really not the habit to have
project names changed like that.

      - Resources included in jar

           When building the jar, the resource files (icons, help

           files, default configuration files) are included. From

           comments in the source code, someone has earlier tried to do

           this and had problems. Can you check my changes, please?

Yes this is possible, but I want to have the resource files
in non-archived form on CVS. The reason is that a lot of people
don't know what a jar file is and how to unzip it.
I want that everybody - including non-java-coders - can access
and modify the resource files easily.

Now if a release of the CFJavaEditor without source is made,
there you could put the resources in the jar file and then
everything is small and clean.

      - Separating the PNG support from the CFEditor code.

           Previously, the PNG source files were included in the

           repository. I downloaded the newest version from sixlegs.com;

           now it's used as a library.

There are modifications in the png code, correcting some bugs
and shortcomings of the sixlegs.com library.
I didn't have time to look at your code yet. If the newest
version of sixlegs has the old bugs corrected and directly
works with the JavaEditor, then we could eventually do this.

      - Support for two different distributions

           Either source files or the jar is included in a distribution

           package.

It would make sense to have two distributions:
One with full source and resource files,
the other only with jar file and the must-have files
(images/html help).
Now this stuff mainly depends on the person(s) who pack the
distributions and put them online somewhere.
I don't have the webspace to make official distributions
currently.

      - No change in functionality and appearance of the program

      - Changed version number from 0.975 to 0.976

      Do you think this version can replace the older versions of the

      CFEditor?

Not directly I'm afraid. I hope this doesn't dissapoint you.
But you know, you should always ask before doing a lot of work
on something. I'll have a look at your code though, when I got time.

Andreas