[CF-Devel] Enchant Armour scrolls

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Jun 2 19:19:22 CDT 2002

Yann Chachkoff wrote:

      ... but not really with your solution. IMO, changing the way the armour value

      for the wearer is calculated is the correct answer, not the way improve armour

      works. The Armour curve (the function giving the Arm coefficient based on the

      sum of the armour equipments) should be revised to make 99.99% more difficult

      to reach.

  The problem I think is that if it is possible to give 5 or 6 armors with 90%
resistance, it is fairly difficult to come up with a formula that prevents that
from getting 99.9% without special casing it (eg, ir armor > 90 then do
something special if more armor is added).

  Although, as I think about it, I thought such a case was what was proposed adn
then done with the partiail resistance code. You could get up to something like
90% resistance (any resistance, just not physical) - the only way you could get
higher than that is if the item itself gave a high resistance (so the potion or
spell that gives 95% works, but that isn't added on with the other resistances,
and just becomes the total resistance.)

Taking a look at the code, I notice that there is special logic for potion
resistances, and it doesn't overall use that logic.

I personally think that maxing the value at 60 for armor improvements is just

fine.  That is basically the same as the max for artifact armors - and certainly much

higher than you can get for artifacts helms, shields, whatever else.  Various
maximums have been put on things like improving your weapon, so I don't see much
a problem with doing the same thing for armor.  It should make things tougher,
which probably isn't a bad thing.

Using the scheme of maxing resistance at 90 as above just means you have one
really good piece of armor you put on, and your now maxed out, so your shield,
hlem, whatever else can be ones that give you other good benefits and you don't
care about the armor value on them.  If armor is maxed at 60, it means your
still going to want to wear a few of those good armor items to get your armor
value up.

  Here is a comparison for 60 vs 90% max value

# items
1
60
90
2
84	99
3
94	99
4
98	99

5	99	99

  Since the resist field is an integer, the fractions should get dropped, which
I did in the below table.

  So still not too hard to get really high resistance values - you now just need
to wear more than 2 items to do so.  But given that, then that may really not
change too much - but I'm not too familiar with  the really high level play.