[CF-Devel] Change in equip method.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Jun 5 01:56:33 CDT 2002

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      Mark Wendel said:

      I agree that bows are underused but I don't think that making them two

      handed would be too bad.  There is a bigger problem with missile combat in

      general (see below).

      Also there could be bows that incorporate defensive or resistance bonuses to

      compensate for this.  Same as making two handed swords more powerful

      for the same reason.  It is just weird having a bow and a shield equiped is

      all.

  I agree.  but I'm sort of willing to let it slide as a convenience factor.
But yeah, it then gets the problem that if the bow has benefits, the character
gets them if they can hold onto it all the time.

  It would certainly be easy enough to make bows 2 weapons (weapon hand + shield
hand).  But I have a feeling in this case, no one would really use the item.
However, this can be tweaked - you could make bows use the weapon hand and
change it to some other location.

      I would have thought the problem with multiple weapons would be

      multiple attacks (and all associated with that - seperate chance to hit,

      seperate damage) not so much balance since most really powerful swords could

      be

      designated two handed, or creatures would also have the advantage of

      multiple weapons

<snip>

  The basic problem is that weapons are an item that the player can more or less
make the weapon give whatever cool stat bonuses they want - they can basically
make them better than what monsters will have.  So a player that has a pair of
really good improved weapons is nastier than really anything else out there.

  Now there are limits on how powerful weapon the character can used based on
their level.  (basically, number of improvements to weapon can not be greater
than some total).  You could change this so that the two weapons improvements
are added up and can't exceed that total.  But this brings up an even better
idea IMO:

  EGO - give each item an ego value.  Normal stuff (like plate mail, shields,
swords) would have 0 ego value.  A players equipments ego total could not exceed
that total which is based on his level.

  this has many interesting play balancing effects.  If you say each improvment
(weapon or armor) counts as an ego point, players may now have to decide if it
is better to improve that weapon or that armor.  Various artifacts could have
ego values also (dragon armor 2 or something).  Great rings similar ego values.

  IMO, this has all sorts of good effects.  It abstracts to too powerful weapon
to now be all items.  It gives an additional way to balance powerful artifacts
(yes, this armor may be the best armor by far, but also has the highest ego.
Maybe that other armor which isn't quite so good but has a lower ego is better
so that I can use my extra powerful boots, etc). IT also means that high level
players gifts of all sorts of artifacts to low level players isn't quite as
useful.  The lower level players may be able to use 1 or 2 of the items at a
time, but not all of them.

      Yes, I think it would be better to make a distinction between

      locomotion method (noped, monoped, biped, quadraped, septaped...or maybe

      none, feet2,

      hoves2, claws2, hoves4, paws4, hoves6, paws6 or something) rather than count

      the

      number of feet, then create items for those other kinds of locomotion

      (horseshoes of levitation, spider shoes +2, dragon spats of havoc)

  The way I envision the code is should be very very easy to add new body
locations.  So to start out with, we only need to worry about what we have now,
and if horses are added, easy to add that they have hooves and whatnot.

  Now in terms of how to deal with this, doesn't make a huge difference.  For
example, if you say humans have 2 feet, but all boots require 2 feet, that is
basically the same has saying has 1 pair of feet, and boots require 1 pair.

  Similar for horseshoes - you could say horses have 4 hooves, but if all
horseshoes come in groups of 4, same effect, you only wear one at a time.

  I personally sort of like the idea of saying the number of feet or fingers or
whatever in real terms.  This allows for flexibility in the future - easy enough
to just have all rings use 5 fingers and all boots use 2 feet.  But you could
add some cool future things - some quest where you get one boot someplace and
another boot someplace else so that you can then were this mismatched pair
together or something.

  Its certainly easier to set it up that way now than say you have 1 pair of
feet or 2 hands and then decide later that, well, setting things to have 5
fingers would really have made more sense, that that may then mean updating
quests, save files, whatever else.

      As for rings, it would be simpler to say one per 'hand' instead of

      worrying about counting fingers.  This does not confuse with arm (as in

      weapn_arm, shield_arm, and can be applied liberally to mean any 'active'

      appendage or

      (fireborn have 4 'hands' or something.)  By active appendage it implies that

      rings would not work if worn on toes or other protruding apendages...

  Note that the counting is left to the code, not the player, so that aspect is
really transparent - player just notices that they can put on 2 rings and thats it.

      That is the current problem, which makes ranged weapons less useful.

      Melee weapons should and will remain more powerful, but by building in a

      pass flag

      for some objects allowing flying but still blocking creature movement you

      can create scenarios where the monsters do not/cannot close on the player(s)

      but remain at a distance, or can attack with arrows oe spells while they

      file through a narrow opening (coming across a bridge or down a stair) to

      provide some pacing to the fight.  You can have the bridge of death scenario

      where narrow walkways work to the players disadvantage rather than their

      advantage.  You would have to modify the monster code to check if there

      is a path for flying so the monster that are able to can still attack or

      this

      wouldn't work.  As you say this is the biggest part of the job.  I have not

      gotten far enough in my learnin to really understand the code (but I have

      been looking).

      It ceratinly wouldn't replace melee weapons as the power items,

      but it would make missile weapons much more useful (also flying, and

      jumping).

  I agree - most of the movement stuff will have to get redone at some point.
I'd like to even allow things like a swimming skill that lets you swim in
shallow water, ships that can navigate deeper water, horses that give faster
movement but can't necessarily pass over everything ,etc.

  But that isn't going to happen immediately.