[CF-Devel] Change in equip method.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Jun 6 02:01:46 CDT 2002

     pstolarc at theperlguru.com

      wrote:

      Nice idea here.  I would change it so that instead of being unable to

      wield/wear/whatever the ego item, it would follow the AD&D rules,

      which I'm assuming you got it from.  The weapon tries to control you,

      which would translate in game terms as a confusion attack/reduced

      confusion resist and paralyze attack/reduced paralyzed resist if their

      is a large ego difference.  Also fear/turn undead if that code works

      on players, though I've never seen it actually do anything.  The

      lowered resists are constant, but make the attacks occur at the most

      inconvenient possible time.  "You're low on HP, your bless just ran

      out, and now your sword turns on you."

  I beleive that Peterm had originally envisaged the spellcrystal doing various
special things.

  As a first pass, I would just make it so you can't use it.  Perhaps later it
can be extended to have various strange effects.  I have a feeling for the most
part they would just be very unpopular (being too nasty, eg, your sword takes
you over in combat and you die), or the opposite side, in wich they don't have
enough bad effect, so that side effects they cause just end up being nuisances
(oops - became confused wandering to the next town.  Time to cast that cure
confusion).

  But this could always become an option at some point.

      Basically if a level 1 character tries to wield a chaos sword, they

      will be able to hold it, but will have no control over their

      character, and will probably die quite quickly.

  Its a bit harder todo this in a computer based game than in real life, in
which that first nasty combat (and the DM knows it is nasty), the sword does
something bad.  Its fairly difficult for a program like crossfire to really know
how nasty that encounter will be (many factors - a combat could be easy or
impossible for the same character, depending if he as the appropriate potions in
effect for example).

  My personal thought is that ego should be public information anyways (if the
item is identified, you know what its ego is).  So it should be easy for players
to figure out the totals and decide what to do.

  OTOH, the amount of ego that the equipped items exceed the characters ego
could have some variance in occurence and how often the effects something.
Thus, if a character had a nice set of items that worked together and just
totalled their ego and died, they could still use that stuff, and being only a
couple levels short, things wouldn't be too painful.

  But in any case, all this ego could would still need to be written.

      Also, make personality levels factor into this somehow.  "You convince

      the chaos sword to do your bidding.  For now..."

  Yeah - I think physical level is used right now?  That doesn't make a lot of
sense if all items and not just weapons are included (even for weapons, you
could say it doesn't make a lot of sense, but I think that was done so that the
pure fighters could use their good weapons.

  with something like the scripting code, you could even have the potential for
some items having higher ego values based on the characters class/race/whatever.

      Maybe with some playbalance testing, we could add resists to player

      enchanted swords?

  That doesn't change too much of it - right now there are maximums on what you
can enchant based on your level - if resistances added part of those, that
wouldn't be much of an issue (eg, do you want that stat bonus or resistance value).

  Probably the hardest part of this is figuring out what resistance value is
good enough (eg, does 10% resistance equate to something like a stat increase?)