[CF-Devel] Re: [CF-maps] maps-bigworld input sought.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Jun 7 01:36:43 CDT 2002

Rick Tanner wrote:

      On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Mark Wedel wrote:

     Lake_County: The map itself (kundi_area) certainly has a look that it should be

     part of something larger (eg, rivers and roads that run off the edges).  So my

     personal thought is that this should be be located someplace on the real map -

     it would fit in better.  Maybe someplace south of brest?  anyone see a reason

     that shouldn't happen?  What level range are these maps?

      How about a little more south east of brest?  There appears to be plenty

      of lakes there to make the map set live up to it's name. ;)

      A large majority of the maps in Lake Country are for characters level 30+.

      For instance, Chaos Lair, Wizard Tower, Burial Ground, Tower of Luck, etc.

      As far as I know, Lord Butakis Elite Training Tower (a pretty good

      tutorial map, BTW) is the only map that is for characters under level 10.

  That would probably work being south east of Brest, since brest is a high
level area, sort of keeps things in line.

     dtabb:  This was orignally the start of a new continent which really never went

     anyplace.  I think this should be located somewhere on the main continent, and

     thats what I'll do unless there is reason not to.  Might also more or less merge

     some of those towns together (darcap, cateham, and mountain village), as

     invidivdually there isn't a lot to each of them.

      Keep in mind there's a number of maps located in the wilderness of this

      continent, like High Valcano, Lord Lyn's Castle, Undead Ruins, and so on.

      Would these maps get distributed in the general area surrounding Darcap?

  Probably.  Note that on the main continent, there are a bunch of maps spread
across it (the old one).  My plan is to put those on the new maps, but try to
keep somewhat relative positions so that all the npc's that say xyz is
north/east/west/south of abc don't need to get updated.

  Some will probably need to get changed, simply because the distances may make
some things not so kind (I immediately think of the mushroom random map/quest -
putting it literally on the southern most point increases the difficult.  My
thought is make a mushroom patch somewhere south of scorn, maybe as far as
brest, but probably not the southern extreme.

      I ask because there's a specific quest in Darcapp that relates to

      two of the Dtabb maps.

  Note that IMO it is more important what the messages may say.  Having quest
maps that may be a bit far apart I think adds a little more depth to it than
'its 5 spaces from here'.

     langley (port joseph): This is a fairly small and compact set of maps.  However,

     for the most part it is fairly low level, so shouldn't be too far from scorn

     (currently, a ship ride away).  I'm sort of inclined to keep it as is and put it

     on the world maps.  Could be interesting to merge this in with the pirateisland

     and wolfsburge maps, as those maps are also gotten to by ship - my only concern

     is that wolfsburg is a bit higher than just a beginning map.

      I second your concern.

      A number of the Wolfsburg maps don't give much of a warning on how

      dangerous they are.  Many times, very nasty monsters are just waiting on

      the top of a set of stairs or behind doors.  (Examples: Castle Magara and

      High Tower)  Not fun for new people. =(

  This should probably get fixed up - if nothing else, put in doors that can be
seen through.

  The other thought is to take what is in port joseph and put it into scorn, but
it seems like there is fair amount of stuff there.  I just sort of like the idea
of having a bunch of towns.  OTOH, if it is put someplace relatively central,
having small things like ports that don't have many shops makes some sense.

  Similarly, I could certainly see some taverns and perhaps general stores where
some of the major roads join up - small villages that have some services - this
is probably a good idea simply so people exploring in the wilderness don't have
to go all the way back to town to get supplies.

     thomas/sisters:  The vally would seem to be something perfectly fine that can be

     buried in the middle of some large mountain range on the main continent, which

     is what I'll do.

      Currently it's rather hard to find the entrance to this map (and sometimes

      the exit..) I stumbled upon this area by accident myself, years ago.

      Does anyone have any ideas on how to make knowledge of this area more

      prevelant in the game without giving away too much?  Or am I missing

      something here?

  well, the valley itself is of reasonable size.   So if it is buried in a
mountain range somplace, it means you only need to have a rough idea where it
really is (you'll wander into it as long as your close - you don't need to find
the exact spot like it is currently that dumps you onto the map.