[CF-Devel] Change in equip method.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Jun 10 01:21:13 CDT 2002

David Hurst wrote:

      RE using multiple weapons at one time:  I agree the correct way to do it

      would be for each weapon to have its own weapon speed, and each attach only

     has the benefits of that weapon.  However, that would require some fairly

     extensive changes to the attack code.  Perhaps if we want to seriously look

     into using 2 weapons, we should look at such a change.  But it certainly

     makes things more complicated.

      I would think it is worth serious contemplation.

  Put it on the TODO list :).  I'd have to look at how the current attack code
works - depending on its current state, it may not be quite so hard.  Hmm.
Maybe if I ever fix the weapon speed/real speed problem, I could fix it also.

  However, you also get what may be some odd situations, eg, I 4 armed creature
that wants to use a sword as one attach and karate (or claws) as another.  I
just envision that trying to do this opens up a huge can of worms.  I'll be
happy to just allow 2 handed weapons.

      My personal thought is to change this so that you are equipping something

      but there is a choice of more than 1 item to unequip, the server then

     informs the player that 'you either need to enequip a or b' type of things,

     instead of making that choice for the player.  Thoughts?

      ok, except that this will add time to equiping, I would rather see some

      would basically switch between a sword and shiled (or just sword/shield)

      to a bow and back. The apply code looks to apply the object, if it is

      already applied it unapplies and the reverse. Which items it applies

      would be based on the easiest way to do it, but a predictable one. Ie,

      highest in inv. (If this was used I would like to see the ability to

      rearrange your inv) or possibly the highest locked item.

  Some people have commented that the fact that you can current switch which
suit of plate armor in the middle of battle isnn't all that realistic, and it
should take some time to switch.  I'm not quite so sure on that - this probably
boils down to the realism vs fun factor.  This is one reason I play without the
longer spell casting times - it isn't very fun to cast a spell add have to
literally wait a couple seconds before you can do something again, same for
switching items.

  Note that there are command line ways to equip and unequip items (apply -u and
apply -a I think, might also be unapply).  So you could certainly do something
like 'unapply bow; apply shield; apply sword' and bind it to a key.  Note that
this now takes 3 actions to perform that switch, instead of it all happening in
one (you could also have the reverse, 'unapply sword; unapply shield; apply bow').

  Note that the names are simplistic in the example.  The code really looks for
the item as named, so it might be something more like 'unapply elven longbow;
apply holy shield; apply demonbane'.

  Note that may be inconvenient if you constant switch between preferred items.
  (eg, I want to be using that dragonbane right now, not the demonbane).
However, if applying a bow automatically unequipped your shield/weapon, that
would be no different - you either need to find your appropriate weapon, or have
multiple bindings.

 If the extra time such a binding takes up (3 ticks instead of 1) was a really

big concern, the time charged to the player could be reduced to be half an action

or something like that (there is no requirement that all actions take one action
- one action is really just the baseline to move one space - many of the
administrative commands actually have no time associated with them (eg, who,
maps, etc)