[cf-admin] maps

Joris Bontje jbontje at suespammers.org
Sun Mar 3 12:16:27 CST 2002

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 02:27:25AM -0500, Todd Mitchell wrote:

      Hi, I have set up Crossfire on a Redhat 7.1 and thought everything was working.

      I use the crossloop script to keep things going and run it as a user I created

      for this purpose (and for Roger Wilco).  I have had a few friends connecting so

      we could try it out.  Everything was/is working in Scorn, but whenever we try

      to go out the eastern gate I get the message - Map closed.  I thought I had

      installed the maps correctly, but perhaps not.

     If you can visit scorn, you should be able to visit the other maps too,
check the logfiles and look if there are any error messages.

      Also I was wondering how often new map sets or updated maps are published and

      what is the procedure for upgrading them on my installation (just clean out the

      old map folder and add the new stuff?).

     Sometimes people create new maps. Often they are mailed to the
crossfire-devel mailinglist, or they just run on 1 server. After the
maps are tested for game balance impact, they will almost always be
placed into CVS. Just CVS update and you will get the latest.

      Also: If there is a guide (or the

      beginnings of a guide) for maintining a crossfire server I would be grateful

      for a peek at it (for things like: is there a way to mute a shouty player? or,

      I am running with ~128kb up and 600kb down (ADSL) and have 512MB ram on a P2

      400 running redhat 7.1 - any ideas on how many people I could have playing at

      one time?)

     There are some hints on the official site, but a good document doesnt
exist. A lot of admins have their own solutions for common admin
practices... that should really be standarized. Any creation is such a
document will be appreciated, would you like to start with it?

Main crossfire realtime discussion does happen on IRC,
ircserver: irc.openprojects.net channel: #crossfire

Regards,
Joris Bontje / mids
--
Gpg Key: Id=0xF19326A9 /

     http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~mids/jbontje.pub

Key fingerprint = 730D 9B3A F406 F28A 957D 6397 31E8 6D4C F193 26A9