[cf-admin] crossfire1.1.0

Todd Mitchell temitchell at sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 23 16:09:44 CST 2002

I just reinstalled using the new 1.1.0 package.  I had only one problem - the first time I started crossfire it failed saying it couldn't find the faces file (Joris Bontje replied to this - and I pulled a faces file from the CVS).  This is an improvement over last version since I could not get crossfire to install in my /usr/local using the -prefix setting in 1.0.0 (it did but, kept looking for stuff in the /usr/games default.), but this time it worked, so i'm happy.

I like the new interaction commands - one of my friends jumped out of their mail when I licked them.  I think this is important fluff that really enhances the game.  I did notice that some of the skills function differently (was told pray was not working - now you need to fire it off with a direction (?).  Also I had to rebind some of the commands in the DX client (use_skill woodsman, literacy..) did the syntax change?  - One thing; so far all my players use the DXclient and have reported that it takes longer to load up the images now - I told them to clear out their image cache - but this did not solve the problem- it almost seems like the client will retrieve the images every time you connect.  Is this because of the new multiple image set support?

I also have a suggestion for a new thing- how about a message board object that could be placed in towns and allow people to put up messages or maybe even an apartment mailbox type of thing (message delivery not free of course - even put in a post kiosk with a jaded employee)? This comes since I noticed that marking rune (all spells actually) don't work the streets of scorn anymore.

Thanks to the people working on this game, Crossfire is great.