[cf-admin] crossfire1.1.0

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Mar 23 16:06:22 CST 2002

      Todd Mitchell wrote:

      I just reinstalled using the new 1.1.0 package.  I had only one problem - the

      first time I started crossfire it failed saying it couldn't find the faces

      file (Joris Bontje replied to this - and I pulled a faces file from the CVS).

      This is an improvement over last version since I could not get crossfire to

      install in my /usr/local using the -prefix setting in 1.0.0 (it did but, kept

      looking for stuff in the /usr/games default.), but this time it worked, so i'm

      happy.

 Yep - known bug.

      I like the new interaction commands - one of my friends jumped out of their

      mail when I licked them.  I think this is important fluff that really enhances

      the game.  I did notice that some of the skills function differently (was told

      pray was not working - now you need to fire it off with a direction (?).

 I don't believe the syntax has changed at all.  You can still use just
'use_skill praying'.

      Also

      I had to rebind some of the commands in the DX client (use_skill woodsman,

      literacy..) did the syntax change?  - One thing; so far all my players use the

      DXclient and have reported that it takes longer to load up the images now - I

      told them to clear out their image cache - but this did not solve the problem-

      it almost seems like the client will retrieve the images every time you

      connect.  Is this because of the new multiple image set support?

 It shouldn't be.  But there was a bug in the checksumming code the server used
which resulted in improper checksums being generated.  This wasn't much an issue
if both sides calculated the checksum the same way - however the unix client was
calculating them the 'proper' way, resulting in it always thinking the server
was wrong.  My guess is that the DX client is calculating the same way the
server did so before the fix, so it is always downloading new ones even if it
has a valid copy.  The fix on the server was a no win situation - if it remains
as is, many clients (unix ones) are broken and need to get fixed.  If it gets
changed, then the dx client is broken.  The change makes the checksumming
compatible with the standard way the checksum should be done, so other external
programs, like perl, generate a compatible checksum.

      I also have a suggestion for a new thing- how about a message board object

      that could be placed in towns and allow people to put up messages or maybe

      even an apartment mailbox type of thing (message delivery not free of course -

      even put in a post kiosk with a jaded employee)? This comes since I noticed

      that marking rune (all spells actually) don't work the streets of scorn

      anymore.

 I think Joris did some mailbox type thingy with the scripting code, but I'm not
sure if it is a standard part.  A message board should be similarly easy to do,
but some aging factor is needed (otherwise, you would have thousands of messages
after some amount of time).  The script could actually make things interesting -
as it ages, some words or letters randomly disappear, and after some age, the
entire message vanishes.