[CF-Devel] start equipment (RE: town portal)

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Mar 1 01:55:03 CST 2002

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      - An "apple of life", being a potion of life in fact.

        (Description message contains hint about potions of life

        and what they do.)

 any reason to make it an apple vs just giving the normal potion?  Not a big
deal, but a normal potion may be more identifable as something they've used
before.

      - A balm of travelling (WoR, balms never fail - that's

        important for newbies).

 Yeap - not all race/class combinations even start with reading I believe.

      - A decent bunch of lightweight food. Removing the

        infinit food auto-generation on HallOfSelection map

        (it gets heavily abused for earning money).

 Give them a bunch of waybreads.

      All of these will have "startequip 1" set, hence vanish

      when dropped.

 Yep.  Probably all start equipment should be locked so a player can't
acidentally drop and loose all this cool stuff either.

      I believe these items would not only help newbies directly,

      they also help them understand how WoR and death-restoration

      works.

      And all this would be very simple to realize.

 Yep, and doesn't really shift things in terms of balance.  That apple of life
will spare the character the need of buying the potion at some point, but it
seems in many cases, other players will gift those potions anyways.

 I would think that balms of travelling should perhaps become more standardized
and show up - certainly most low level scrolls should perhaps be made into
balms.  IF the spell system is redone, then perhaps we should add more
refinement for where spells show up (eg, potion/balm, scroll, wand, rod).  Right
now, all potions are actual archetypes - that probably isn't strictly
necessary.  Also, wand/rod is grouped into one, so something that shows up in a
wand also shows up in a rod.

 I've long disliked the generation of those items, as level and value is
calculated.  For scrolls, this becomes annoying as you may have 6 different
scrolls of identify that don't merge because they are of different levels -
would be much more convenient if the levels were constant, or maybe just one or
two (like level 10, 15, or 20, but not the complete range of 10-20).

      Andreas

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com