[CF-Devel] town portal (RE: CVS commit: maps/city/misc)

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Mar 1 02:08:26 CST 2002

Tim Rightnour wrote:

      On 28-Feb-02 Andreas Vogl wrote:

      > Somehow I agree to what Mark (and others) said here.

      > Adjusting spell damage and monster resistance is probably

      > a better approach than backfires for attack spells.

      However, worth noting, I don't object to "cute" backfires on spell failure.

      Like a 5% chance of a failure causing a cute side effect to occur might be fun.

      When I say cute though, I mean silly things, like summoning a chicken, or

      turning wine into water.  Nothing that affects the player adversly.  The idea

      being not to deter using spells, but make them a little more colorful.  It

      should only happen on normal failure though, not increase the chances for

      failure.

 My personal thought is that these cute effects can get pretty tiring pretty
quickly.  I think only a very small portion of failures should then result in a
cute backfire, so when it happens, it actually is novel.

      If there are spells people feel are too powerful, we should get a list going,

      identify what makes them so powerful, and tune them down.

 Yep.  Some may be very easy to tune - reduce damage, increase spell point cost,
etc.  It strikes me the ones that tend to be listed often are because they don't
attack with magic (eg, comet), which means it can affect a lot more monsters.

      As for WOR, there are potential abuses for it, but more importantly, it's a

      very vital spell.  When I start playing, and explore maps, I allways take a

      scroll with me, so if I get myself in too deep, or end up trapped, I can bail

      in a hurry.  Any newbie who has played a mud/moria knows that a WOR can save

      your hide.  I would go as far to say, we should give one as starting equipment

      to every new player.

 IMO, we really need to sort out in map saving better.

 Currently, you can basically kill the client and get saved wherever you are (in
gtk client, there is close connection).  We might as well make that a more
formal feature in the client.  Quit should probably save the player wherever and
then exit, and if a person actually wants to end playing the character, have an
option better named than quite (retire, suicide, harikari, whatever).

 One problem with the current scheme is that it puts you back on the map you
quit on.  This is both a plus and minus - plus in that it doesn't give you a
free word of recall.  Minus is that you can sort of due the treasure room cheat.

 An easy fix for this is that each time a map is loaded from the original file,
it is given an id - this id persists when the map is swapped and and re-loaded,
but goes away when the map is reset.  This id can simply be done as a counter
that is increased each time it is assigned.  When the player quits via non
savebed, this id is then saved in the player file.  when the log back in,
compare the id in the player file with that the map currently has assigned.  IF
they are equal, put them back in that same map.  IF not equal, put them back to
their savebed.

 This still gives a word of recall type functionality, but at the expense of
waiting for the map to reset (typically a couple hours), so this is not likely
to be something that would be abused very much.  It also has the effect that if
a player is playing and the connection is lost for some reason (client crashes
for example), they can log back on and basically continue playing from where
they left off.