[CF-Devel] town portal (RE: CVS commit: maps/city/misc)

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Fri Mar 1 02:31:51 CST 2002

On 01-Mar-02 David Hurst wrote:

      Is it just me.. or does the name 'Protector of void' sound particularly

      silly? I thought the Void was nothingness, why would you bother

      protecting it, and if you did, it wouldn't be a void anymore would it?

      come to think of it, if you got sent to the void.. well that's a

      contradiction because when you get there, it isn't the void anymore ;)

It was just a cool name for the room we sent people who got unlucky with the
portal spell.

Just to specify what this room was.  It was a single room, no exits.  In there,
there was a single, unbelievably powerful monster, who would kill you pretty
much instantly.  It was a death sentance.  It wasn't a quest you could work
your way out of.. it was brutal, gory, death.  The reason it worked so well, is
that it was so brutal, people were mortified of it.  When they portaled around,
they seriously considered if it was worth the risk or not, and sometimes, they
paid the piper.  I think we had it set at around 4-5%.

The monster was unnamed on our mud.. but it was a kind of etheral warp-being.
The last thing the players ever saw was a flurry of combat followed by
"Something killed you".  (usually by decapitation too)

If I were to design it for CF, I would make a 5x5 room, with nowhere to hide,
put you in one corner, and a 2x2 evil thing in the other corner, and make it so
you couldn't teleport out.

There was an interesting side effect though of this.  The "we've done it all"
type players who were bored, would spend all day portalling around town trying
to get sucked into the void so they could kill the beast.  It could only be
killed by decapitation, so they wore the head it dropped like a prize.  (very
few ever killed it, because it would usually get the first blow in with a 300HP
backstab).  It was considered to be one of the ultimate challenges on the mud.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS