[CF-Devel] town portal (RE: CVS commit: maps/city/misc)

Tim Rightnour root at garbled.net
Fri Mar 1 02:44:26 CST 2002

On 01-Mar-02 Mark Wedel wrote:

       My personal thought is that these cute effects can get pretty tiring pretty

      quickly.  I think only a very small portion of failures should then result in

      cute backfire, so when it happens, it actually is novel.

I agree.  there should be a low percentage chance.. and not a percentage of
failure chance, a hard percentage, so newbies don't get bombarded with chickens.

Like I said.  Backfires can be cute, as game flavor.  But I in no way think
they should have any game effect.  No damage, no effects, no status changes,
just a pretty light show.  Otherwise being a mage can suck.

Since I'm on a tangent kick today..  After spending weeks writing really cool
backfire code into the mud, and then having to rip it back out because the
players wanted to revolt, I found another use for it.  I made a wildmage class.
:

     )  The basic theory is a mage, who has immense natural power, but no control.

     He can unleash powerful magic, but can't allways make it do what he wants.
It's like a wand of wonder, with a little bit of die weighting, and a much
bigger kick.  Basically, you would cast, and get a random die weighting based
on your level and int, and depending on your target (yourself, enemy) it would
weight the dice towards the good end of the scale for you.  (The scale went
from healing to death, so for self casting, you would weight towards healing)..
Then, a random amount of mana went in, which determined the power of the spell.

It made for an interesting class.. but definately one for the more pychotic
player, as alot of times you would end up casting full heals on your enemies,
or blowing your own head off.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net