[CF-Devel] About CVS server stability.

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at MailAndNews.com
Sat Mar 2 04:38:48 CST 2002

      My personal thought is that if we do start doing branches, it probably makes

     more sense to make a 'stable' branch, instead of branching for each feature.

     The main reasons for this are:

     1) Most bugfixes tend to make small changes to the code, so tend to be easier

     backport from the main branch.

     2) Because the changes are small, much less likely to have conflicts.

     3) the main CVS branch really is the latest and bugiest, which is probably

     what

     it should be.

     I agree with that. When a new feature pops out, we put it on the devel CVS.
Then, if after some tests it looks stable enough, we make a release (either as
a new package or a commit in the "stable" CVS repository). The best thing
would be of course to test only one addition at a time, but I do understand it
could be quite difficult to achieve.
Maybe the sourceforge features (those under the "tracker" subsection) should
be more intensively used ?

      I don't know the issues behind the java editor.  but IMO, AV pretty much

     followed proper protocol on this checkin: He discussed it ahead of time, made

     changes to fix some peoples issue with the code, and then checked it in.

     Maybe

     the discussion time wasn't really long, but at the same time, the amount of

     code

     isn't tremendous.

     That's right. On the other hand, it seems that a general consensus wasn't
achieved.

      Since it has been agreed that CVS is for latest and greatest, people running

     CVS know their is risk of new bugs.  That is nothing new - in any case, AV

     would

     have had to put this code into CVS at some point - realistically, that is the

     only way to really work out the bugs and potential balance issues.

Since there are not a lot of "stable" releases, the CVS is the only realistic
source for up-to-date stuff. Most people will use it simply because the stable
packages are 6 months old and thus quite outdated. I agree that when you use
the CVS, you also understand the risks. But if there are no serious
alternative to CVS, then we need to ensure that the code in it is stable
enough under normal circumstances.

Now I also disagree when you say that it is the "only way to really work out
the bugs" - patches do exist and are commonly used in other projects when
submitting new stuff (that also explains why sourceforge has a "patches"
service). Why are we unable to use them more widely ?

I repeat again what I've said a lot: if we do not agree on a clear
submission/test/update protocol, the problems will get worse and will *not*
solve by themselves.

Of course, this is just my opinion - maybe I'm as wrong as usual :)
Y. Chachkoff

Visit

     http://www.chachkoff.pronym.org

      for a