[CF-Devel] non-suicide spellcasters

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Wed Mar 13 17:45:14 CST 2002

I'd like to make a small change in the attack-code, to the
effect that monsters will no longer damage themselves with their
own spells. Multiple monsters will still be able to damage *each other*.

The reason is that spellcasting monsters have a strong tendency
to kill themselves with their own spells. The only way to prevent
spellcasters from suiciding is to set their resistances way high.
That's okay for one or two attacktypes, but not for more.

My patch would work especially well for boss-type monsters
who are usually alone in a room and have multiple spells with
various attacktypes.
It will not have much impact on maps with multiple monsters
per room, and it will have no effect on monsters who already
are immune to their spell's attacktypes.

In spite of breaking with the player's experience of spellcasting
(spell damages self), I think it would still be intuitive that
monsters just don't kill themselves.

Andreas