[CF-Devel] non-suicide spellcasters

Joris Bontje jbontje at suespammers.org
Wed Mar 13 18:52:46 CST 2002

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 12:45:14AM +0100, Andreas Vogl wrote:

      I'd like to make a small change in the attack-code, to the

      effect that monsters will no longer damage themselves with their

      own spells. Multiple monsters will still be able to damage *each other*.

      The reason is that spellcasting monsters have a strong tendency

      to kill themselves with their own spells. The only way to prevent

      spellcasters from suiciding is to set their resistances way high.

      That's okay for one or two attacktypes, but not for more.

      My patch would work especially well for boss-type monsters

      who are usually alone in a room and have multiple spells with

      various attacktypes.

      It will not have much impact on maps with multiple monsters

      per room, and it will have no effect on monsters who already

      are immune to their spell's attacktypes.

      In spite of breaking with the player's experience of spellcasting

      (spell damages self), I think it would still be intuitive that

      monsters just don't kill themselves.

Hereby I, Joris Bontje, admin of the mids.student.utwente.nl Crossfire
server, coder of small patches, fixer of minor bugs, declare that:
1) I agree with the implementation of your proposal.
2) I volunteer reviewing the patch before committing into the CVS.
3) I offer to test the patch on my server before committing into the
   CVS.
4) I will try to debug the code in case of potential bugs.

Additionally the 1983 players on my server are available as living
test subjects.

Digitally signed in threefold,
Joris Bontje / mids
--
Gpg Key: Id=0xF19326A9 /

     http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~mids/jbontje.pub

Key fingerprint = 730D 9B3A F406 F28A 957D 6397 31E8 6D4C F193 26A9