[CF-Devel] non-suicide spellcasters

Henric Karlsson henric at lysator.liu.se
Thu Mar 14 02:22:46 CST 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Andreas Vogl wrote:

      I'd like to make a small change in the attack-code, to the

      effect that monsters will no longer damage themselves with their

      own spells. Multiple monsters will still be able to damage *each other*.

      The reason is that spellcasting monsters have a strong tendency

      to kill themselves with their own spells. The only way to prevent

      spellcasters from suiciding is to set their resistances way high.

      That's okay for one or two attacktypes, but not for more.

     So this is basicaly a fix for the,
"I'm too big and too dumb to realize from what square and in what
direction I should cast the spell"
in combination with
"I'm immune to attacktype X but if I put on this armour
with resistance to X my total resistance to X drops below 100%"

Ok it sure fixes the symptoms, but not the actuall cause.
As a player I'd say it's good, not that sure if you look from the code
designers view.

/Henric (Gambold)