[CF-Devel] non-suicide spellcasters

Peter Mardahl peterm at tonks.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Mar 14 10:54:27 CST 2002

To Andreas:  I think this is a good idea in general, and if it
works out should benefit the game.  It's silly to have boss
monsters self-destruct, as you've said.

To Tim:  monsters will still immolate each other, according to Andreas,
and giving the poor monsters immunity to their own spells is pretty
much what every mapmaker would have wanted.  They put monsters in
the maps for players to fight and destroy, not to conveniently remove
themselves without any effort on the part of the player.

Whether players should be defended from their own spells is a
SEPARATE issue, that perhaps you might raise in another thread,
but I regard player self-immolation as a beneficial part of the game.

PM

      On 13-Mar-02 Andreas Vogl wrote:

      > In spite of breaking with the player's experience of spellcasting

      > (spell damages self), I think it would still be intuitive that

      > monsters just don't kill themselves.

      I'm confused here.  You mean to say that now monsters are immune to thier own

      spells, but players can still immolate themselves?  I'm not sure I agree with

      that division.

      ---

      Tim Rightnour <

      root at garbled.net