[CF-Devel] non-suicide spellcasters

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Thu Mar 14 15:40:47 CST 2002

Sorry for the last mail. It was empty. XP

I wanted to reply to Gambold:

      > On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Andreas Vogl wrote:

      > > I'd like to make a small change in the attack-code, to the

      > > effect that monsters will no longer damage themselves with their

      > > own spells. Multiple monsters will still be able to damage

      > > *each other*.

      > So this is basicaly a fix for the,

      > "I'm too big and too dumb to realize from what square and in what

      > direction I should cast the spell"

IMO this is not true. Multisquare monsters cast well in the right
direction. But spellcasters always get covered with their own
spells - especially so for multisquares.

      > in combination with

      > "I'm immune to attacktype X but if I put on this armour

      > with resistance to X my total resistance to X drops below 100%"

What you describe above is true, but a seperate issue.
Currently, mapmakers must ensure that special monsters
don't get any equipment to apply. That works.
(Set "randomitems none", "pick_up 0", etc)
This could be fixed by storing "special" resistances in
a force and applying that to the monster at loading-time.
Unfortunately this is hard to realize, because it would
need to be implemented into the Crossfire object-loader
which is a great pile of sh... eh... *complicated stuff*. ;)

      > Ok it sure fixes the symptoms, but not the actuall cause.

      > As a player I'd say it's good, not that sure if you look from

      > the code designers view.

What I intend to fix is the problem that many boss-monsters
suck because they either self-destruct due to low resistances,
or they're too hard due to immunities.
The patch is designed to help map-designers to create
special monsters of a more balanced kind.

Andreas

     http://www.gmx.net