[CF-Devel] non-suicide spellcasters

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Thu Mar 14 15:04:51 CST 2002

      On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Andreas Vogl wrote:

      > I'd like to make a small change in the attack-code, to the

      > effect that monsters will no longer damage themselves with their

      > own spells. Multiple monsters will still be able to damage *each other*.

      > The reason is that spellcasting monsters have a strong tendency

      > to kill themselves with their own spells. The only way to prevent

      > spellcasters from suiciding is to set their resistances way high.

      > That's okay for one or two attacktypes, but not for more.

      So this is basicaly a fix for the,

      "I'm too big and too dumb to realize from what square and in what

      direction I should cast the spell"

      in combination with

      "I'm immune to attacktype X but if I put on this armour

      with resistance to X my total resistance to X drops below 100%"

      Ok it sure fixes the symptoms, but not the actuall cause.

      As a player I'd say it's good, not that sure if you look from the code

      designers view.

      /Henric (Gambold)

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com