[CF List] levels & exp

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Mar 29 00:42:11 CST 2002

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      > >I don't agree here. Multiple experience models would cause way too

      > >much chaos. The experience model must be hardcoded

      > >and identical on all servers. Maps have to be designed after that

      > >*one* experience model. Players should also be able to get used

      > >to one model.

      > Why does map design care about exp model?

      Maps *contain* experience.

      So how much exp should I add on my new "Great Dragon of Chaos"?

      1 million or 20 million? - Depends on how much the experience is

      worth in the model of course.

      If a level 100 player gains 3 levels for killing it, that was too

      much. But if a level 60 player gains only 1 level that might be okay.

 But I think that is some of the idea behind having a variable experience
system.  If a server admin wants to make it tougher for players to advance at
high levels, they change the experience values need for the higher levels.

 Certainly, a server admin could make things too tough (or easy) depending on
how they change the tables.  But like anything in crossfire, that is true if you
change some values.

 Of course, the values right now are not immutable right now - right now it is
just tougher for the server admin to change the values, as they have to go into
the the source code to change it.

 Making it a file read at load time certainly makes it easier to experiment and
find values that seem to work properly.