[CF-Devel] combining multipart images

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon May 6 02:37:05 CDT 2002

  I've done some investigation into what it will take to combine the multipart
images into one part for client display.  What this basically means that if you
have a 4x4 object (say a shop), you just have 1 64x64 image, instead of 4 32x32
images.  The main thing this gains is that image maintenance is easier (no need
to take the step to re-combine and then re-split to touch up an image).  I know
some people have expressed the obnoxiousness of having to do that.

  Allowing for these combined images actually isn't that much work to do -
really nothing at all in the server, and some code change necessary for the unix
clients at least.

  The biggest problem are people using old clients (whether they are the unix
ones or anything else) - whether they will display the data correctly, or even
work without crashing (I think some of the very old unix ones don't expect
anything larger than a 32x32 image).

  My thought on this is to make the new unix client available, and have the
server send a standard drawinfo message to the user (client) if it thinks the
client is out of date - basically telling the user to update.  Then after some
amount of time has passed (few months), people can start putting combined images
into the cvs repository (for the most part, I don't expect there to be much
updates, as unless the image is getting worked on, there really isn't much
reason to combine the images that are already split).  Players that are using
the old clients at that time would then face the consequences.

  The only way to actually remain backward compatibilty would be to keep a set
of the old split images around, but that seems to sort of defeat the purpose of
trying to make things easier by not having to deal with split images (I'm
thinking of the scenariou of adding a new archetype/image - if you have to go
out and split up the image, that would seem to make it a bit of a bother).