[CF-Devel] combining multipart images

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon May 6 14:32:21 CDT 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Todd Mitchell wrote:

      Face the consequences?  Is Crossfire moving to 'nix players only?  Well it

      was fun while it lasted...wonder when Neverwinter is coming out?

 Note that for much of the history, crossfire has been a unix game.

 There is nothing preventing people from making windows clients.  The problem
is that if things are done so that all old clients must work, many
changes won't happen.  There is in fact a lot of old code in the server
right now to support back many revisions of clients.

 Now ideally, someone would make an updated windows client.  And
even more ideally, it would be in a subdir of the current client
in CVS, so that it could use the same common code vs that needing to
get ported over each time.  If someone wanted to take the sdl client
and do that merge, that would be great.  People have also said that
gtk 2.0 has a native windows port, and a little work should make the
current gtk client 2.0 compatible.

 The fact is that I don't have a windows build environment, and have
no inclination or time to even set one up.  And its completely
inconceivable for me to update/make a new release for every client that
may exsit - especially since anyone who wants to can write their own
client, and keep the source private.  I don't have a problem with people
doing that.

 All that said, in fairness, I sent the original message out to see what
issues would arise.  Not doing this because it may break old clients that are
no longer being worked basically limits what future development may happen.
If someone was working on a replacement windows client but wasn't quite done
with it yet and needed a little more time, I would certainly be agreeable to
postponing the introduction of merged images until that client was completed.
Note that I'm not going to postpone this just by someone saying they are doing
that - I would need to see some amount of proof that that client is in fact
progressing - there have been many times in the past of people saying "I'll
get this feature done in X time", and that never happening.